There’s a Regent’s meeting coming up next week (May 17-19) and we need your help sending them a strong message that we need to invest in going fossil free!
Last time (Jan. 18-20) we mobilized to give public comments at a Regents meeting it made a difference! Thanks to the 70+ people that submitted written comments and several who additionally called in to give verbal comments we got media coverage from UCB Daily Californian and the UCSB Daily Nexus, including a response from David Phillips (UC AVP for Energy and Sustainability)!
Comment submission/request deadlines are Sunday May 15th/Monday May 16th (see below for more details). If you’re at UCLA and can take some time to go to the meeting in-person to give your verbal comment, that would be an awesome way to get their attention and our message across!
Here is a Public Comment Toolkit (courtesy of GND at UCSD) for you to use in drafting your comments to the regents.
What you can do: Submit a written and/or verbal comment
1. Urge the Regents and President Drake to expedite the transition to a fossil free UC as highlighted in the documentary film, Coming Clean: A Demand for a Fossil Free UC!
2. Urge the Regents to prioritize full funding in the 2022-2023 budget for UC Berkeley to replace its aging co-generation plant with a 21st century 100% clean-energy microgrid. This will ensure that at least one of our campuses becomes a climate leader by retiring a fossil-fuel-burning campus cogeneration plant this decade.
3. Urge the Regents to prioritize additional funding this year for electrification plans to be made NOW for all UC campuses to get on track, as Berkeley has, to make genuine carbon emissions reductions this decade.
- Submit a written comment:
Send an email to email@example.com with the title “Written Public Comment – Agenda Item F9 Fiscal Year 2022-23 Budget for the University of California Office of the President” no later than 2pm, Sunday, May 15th. Use the sample comment or talking points below to write your comment in the body of your email.
- Sign up to make a live in-person or phone comment:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Verbal Public Comment – Agenda Item F9 Fiscal Year 2022-23 Budget for the University of California Office of the President” no later than 5pm, Monday, May 16. Include your phone number in the body of your email along with the date/time that you are available to speak, and whether you will be present in-person or by phone (options are: 3pm, Tues, May 17th; 8:30am, Wed, May 18th; 8:30am, Thurs, May 19th) and the subject you wish to address. Then be available to be called starting at the time that you specified. Remember to unblock unknown calls to your phone. Use the talking points below to prepare your verbal comment (~1 min long).